Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Trickster Songs

For our group presentation we developed a cohesive plan to attack the chapter we were assigned from  Myth and Knowing. Each of us used our strengths and abilities to add something uniquely engaging for audience.  Christopher was a master power pointer and so he took all of our informational slides and incorporated them into a stunning visual presentation for the class. The most important thing I learned from the whole experience is that I a severe deficiency in power point and most computer programs for that matter.
I also became familiar with the mythological figure called the trickster. After reading the chapter,the group decided to use the example of Prometheus to further explain the idea of the trickster.  Our assignment was to approach the presentation as if we were teaching in a high school class room.  We were encouraged to try new methods and above all make the material relevant to the students.
I hadn't planned on doing anything more than my portion of the power point but after searching for examples of Prometheus in popular music or folk songs without luck, I decided to write a few songs to perform for the class.  Here are the lyrics to the one I had the chance to perform:

Prometheus

They say you're like Bart Simpson or Stewy Griffin
you're like Bugs Bunny or a  manic Indian
You're a wild rabbit, a coyote, and a black raven
you're no cartoonish fool, you're no great satan

you're no human, you're a titan with mankind on your mind
And all your indiscretions had the best intentions
and Mary Shelley was way out of line, to ever compare you to her mad doctor Frankenstein

You can steal the fire away
but you can't keep the Gods at bay
They will come for you and in the end you'll be the one to pay

You were a champion for us and according to Hesiod
You hid the meat so we could eat, you fooled the god of gods
Zeus was mad he kept the flame, you tricked him just the same
So he tied you to a rock and had an eagle come each day to eat your liver over and over again

You can steal the fire away
but you can't keep the Gods at bay
They will come for you and in the end you'll be the one to pay

Prometheus my bro
We owe you big don't ya know
All I can offer you is an apology
for the cruel fact that when you google your name the first thing that comes up is that multi-million dollar piece of shit Ridley Scott movie

You can steal the fire away
but you can't keep the Gods at bay
They will come for you and in the end you'll be the one to pay
We will all feel their wrath
but in time the pain will pass
and we'll walk hand in hand every woman and man free at last

Saving the world  your way is a thankless task
So I wrote this song for you, Prometheus

Here is the second song that I didn't have time to perform:


Trickster Girl
Trickster Girl you're so smart
You broke my world, you ran a scam on my heart
I don't mind being kept in the dark
Your lies light me up inside they make a spark

You can steal the fire,
play on my desire
ignore the higher rules
That's what you're supposed to do

Trickster Girl you can lie to me
Trickster Girl I'll pretend I'm too blind to see
Trickster Girl It's alright, lie to me

Trickster girl you make me laugh out loud
but all the foolish things you do fill me with doubt
You manipulate their minds, bet I'll get my turn
I know There's a message here I'm supposed to learn

Tell me one thing here
And mean another there
say you're not in love
make me want to care

Trickster girl you can lie to me





No comments:

Post a Comment