Thursday, December 13, 2012

Final Thoughts

I am graduating.  It have spent two years at CSUN but in actuality it has taken over a decade to complete my bachelor's degree.  Sure, that sounds pitiful and to be honest it IS sad in one narrow view. But from most people's perspective it's a personal triumph, an achievement not to be belittled or trivialized.  Yes, I made the Dean's list in my thirties and that is something to acknowledge especially when for most people my age doing anything outside of a nine to five job requires energy they usually reserved for parenting children.  It was challenging.  Derrida is still Derrida at a state school.  There were moments when I had to compromise my music career, my relationship, my family, and my sleep schedule in order to get an A.  I held myself to such a high standard I often suffered from acid indigestion.  
So after all of the stress involved with studying for exams, writing papers, and preparing for oral presentations my next big life decision is graduate school.  I choose more of the same. What is the definition of insanity again?  Something about repeating an action over and over even though you know the harmful consequences...
Seriously, it is because of the experiences in classes with teachers like Professor Wexler that I've decided to return.  The truth is that I enjoy being exposed to new ways of thinking about the world.  I've travelled all over the globe with only a narrow vision of what I was seeing.  My experiences abroad in some ways taught me more than I could learn in college but classes like this senior seminar help me appreciate what I have seen.  The explorations into new media, mythology, and globalization have broadened my view of the future. Some of it does seem dismal in regards to making a living at anything involved in writing or teaching but I am excited to see what evolves out of this culture of the internet and how we cope as society with technological advances.  Grad school will only give me a greater understanding and appreciation for the history that unfolds.

No comments:

Post a Comment