Thursday, December 13, 2012

The Poem becomes a Song

It has happened before.  When I used to space out in high school math classes I'd find myself scribbling little poems in my notebook along side quadratic equations.  Some fully formed poems or a few lines written here or there would become the only material for lyrics when my high school rock band would get together and jam on our original tunes.
So I wrote a poem for this class and I thought it was okay. Professor Wexler gave it a decent  grade. I then looked at it a few times and saw the possibility of making one of the stanzas a chorus and trimming and adding some words in a few places to make it a song.  I gave it a bridge which only really works as a song lyric and would be too much of a clichee for a poem.
"I know that you're weary. I've seen you falling down.  Pretend that you don't hear me.  It all comes back around."
Here is me performing the poem turned song on the street.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y992kOSiKJA&feature=youtube_gdata_playerhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y992kOSiKJA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

No comments:

Post a Comment